Freelance Writing Experience
- Construction Executive: Many articles since 2011 about all aspects of construction, including workforce, safety, business development and craft training.
- National Hydropower Association: Guest author articles about trends in hydropower.
- A.T. Journeys: Articles related to the Appalachian Trail and Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
- Public Power: Articles on safety, marketing and grassroots causes related to the public power industry.
- Women’s Health: Advertising copy for print and web editions.
- Blue Ridge Outdoors: Articles on hiking and wildlife.
- Chronogram: Profile on home and homeowner in Catskill, N.Y.
- The Watershed Post: Articles on hiking and snowshoeing for its 2015 Outdoors Guide.
- Appalachian Trials: Blog posts on my experience thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.
- Catskill Made: Article on arts community in Catskill, N.Y.
Freelance Editing Experience
- A.T. Journeys: Proofread the Fall 2016 issue
- Construction Executive: Proofread the November 2016 issue, which included the large special section on surety bonding.
- Associate Digital Editor (Freelance), CE This Week, January 2018-present
– Assign, collect, edit and write articles related to business, workforce, markets and equipment for weekly enewsletter.
- Freelance Editor, Managing Your Business, May 2015-December 2017
– Assign, collect, edit and write articles for enewsletter twice per month.
- Community Manager, Purpose Coworking, July 2016-March 2017
– Create marketing initiatives to reach new members, create a community atmosphere for coworkers, order supplies and manage day-to-day office activities.
- Freelance Editor, Green Builder, April 2016-October 2016
– Managed the production process, coordinated the editorial and design teams.
– Wrote and edited all content, except for a handful of contributed columns.
- Copywriter, Genex Marketing, March 2015-May 2016
∙ Organized, re-purposed and created text for company and client websites.
- Freelance Editor, American Painting Contractor, January 2015-May 2015
– Wrote and compiled weekly eNewsletter.
– Assigned, collected and edited articles for each issue according to the editorial calendar.
– Proofread each issue and worked closely with the designer.
- Thru-Hiked the Appalachian Trail, April 2014-September 2014
– 2,185.3 miles from Georgia to Maine
- Assistant Editor, Construction Executive January 2014-March 2014
– Wrote monthly feature articles and news briefs for Construction Executive magazine, the leading source of commercial construction news and trends that is distributed to more than 50,000 contractors and construction-related businesses.
– Solicited and edited columns submitted by various authors on legal, technology, green, safety, finance, insurance, education, training, risk management and other topics.
– Helped create yearly editorial calendar and plan for future issues of the magazine.
– Edited and managed the magazine’s risk and business management eNewsletters.
– Compiled, edited and wrote President’s Update, a newsletter distributed to more than 900 stake holders in the association.
– Edited political letters sent to members of Congress and other organizations, economic reports sent to the media and brochures and promotional materials used for company events
– Used blogs, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook to publish news and create an online presence.
- Staff writer, Construction Executive, April 2011-December 2013
– Same responsibilities as the assistant editor position.
- Participated in a print and digital magazine redesign, including conducting the initial research, choosing a new design team, selecting a new look for print and digital, and overseeing the successful launch of both platforms.
- Completed most magazine-related responsibilities for three months while current assistant editor was on maternity leave and editor-in-chief was rarely available.
- Documented the construction process for the company’s office move to Washington, D.C., creating a blog to track the progress, attending construction meetings, ensuring photo documentation, writing the final article, and creating a video component with photos and interviews.
- Magazine, newspapers, web
- Features, news and special projects
- Print and digital newsletters
- Social Media
- AP Style
- Knowledge of SEO principles
- Magnet Mail
- Adobe Acrobat
- Microsoft Office products
Virginia Commonwealth University, B.A., mass communications (focus in print journalism), minor in religious studies